Imagine waking up to the delicious aroma of breakfast cooking in the oven… wait. This is a recipe blog. If you’re reading this, you’re probably the one making the breakfast. Okay, scratch that. Imagine waking up, heading to the kitchen to make a coffee to enjoy during those precious few minutes before the rest of the family wakes up. While the coffee brews, you preheat your oven and pop in the breakfast casserole you cleverly prepared the day before. Soon to follow will be that delicious aroma, which you can enjoy as you sip that first coffee of the day. By the time everyone else wakes up, breakfast will be ready! Scroll down for the printable recipe!
With only eight ingredients, this easy (and low carb!) breakfast bake comes together in just minutes, and can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge overnight, double win! This is also a great one if you’re meal prepping, I get eight generous slices from my 13×9 baking dish – that’s lunch for the whole week!
Ham and cheddar, baked up with eggs and a few simple seasonings – this is my go to breakfast recipe. You could absolutely substitute the ham for cooked bacon or sausage, or switch out the cheddar for another cheese. Really it’s up to you!
I like to gather up all my ingredients before I start, it just makes the prep that much quicker. You’ll want to grease your baking dish first – I like to use butter, but cooking spray will work just as well. Once you’ve greased your baking dish, go ahead and spread the ham in an even layer over the bottom, and layer about half of your cheese on top.
Next, whisk together your eggs, cream, and seasonings.Then pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese in your baking dish, top with the rest of the cheese, wrap it up, and pop it in the fridge! Keep it in the fridge overnight, and bake it up in the morning! Breakfast is served!
Ham and Cheddar Make-Ahead Breakfast Bake
- 1 pound pre-cooked ham, diced (I like Black Forest)
- 12 eggs (I use large)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Start by greasing your baking dish. I use a 13×9 Pyrex dish, and I like to grease with butter, though cooking spray would work too.
- Spread your diced ham in an even layer over the bottom of your baking dish.
- Layer half of your cheese on top of the ham.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together your eggs, cream, and seasonings.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ham, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Wrap with plastic or foil, and refrigerate. You could absolutely bake it at this point if you wanted to!
- When ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 375, and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until the edges are brown.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional information: (per serving) 313 calories, 3 g carbs, 22 g fat, 27 g protein.
*Nutritional values are approximate, calculated by me, based on the products I used to make this recipe. Carbs noted are total, not net.