This easy recipe is made even easier by using the pre-packaged riced cauliflower that you can pick up in the freezer asile of your grocery store.
Now. Cauliflower rice is most definitely NOT rice. It has a very different taste and texture, it actually tastes like… cauliflower (!), but it is a good substitute, none the less. I always have a bag or two in my freezer, it’s great for a quick side, and it’s awesome in this casserole!Ground chicken, in a creamy sauce made with cream cheese and heavy cream, a few simple seasonings, mixed up with cauliflower rice and topped with lots of cheese and bacon bits. Its about 20 minutes from start to oven, and then just 20 minutes baking, and dinner is served. This one is a family favourite at my house! Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe.
First you’ll want to turn your oven on to 350, because by the time it heats up, your casserole will be ready for the oven!
Brown up your chicken in a large skillet over medium heat. While you’re browning the chicken, pop the bag of cauliflower rice in the microwave and let it do it’s thing.
Then you’ll add your seasonings to the chicken, and give a good stir to distribute them well. Next comes the cream cheese. I like to add it in in small blobs and then kind of mash it up with the meat to get it to melt in faster. Stir in your heavy cream, cook a couple of minutes until all the cheese has melted. At this point your cauliflower rice is probably steamed, so you can mix that into your skillet as well!Next transfer it all to a 13×9 baking dish (I’m using my trusty Pyrex) and top it off with all of that delicious shredded cheddar. Then sprinkle on your crumbled bacon and you’re ready to bake. Sometimes I throw on a handful of chives or green onion as well, just for a little colour.
Because everything is already cooked, this casserole only needs about 20 minutes in the oven, which is enough time to clean up any mess and set the table. I usually broil it for a couple of minutes at the end, just to get the cheese to brown a bit.
Loaded Cauliflower Chicken Casserole
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 package frozen riced cauliflower (4 cups)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 block)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Brown the chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat as you go.
- While the chicken cooks, pop your cauliflower rice into the microwave and let it steam.
- When the chicken is cooked, stir in your seasonings and heavy cream.
- Add the cream cheese in small pieces, use your spoon to mash it in with the meat a bit to get it to melt faster.
- Once all the cream cheese is melted, stir in the cauliflower rice.
- Transfer the mixture to a 13×9 baking dish, and top with the shredded cheddar and bacon crumbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn on the broiler just for a couple minutes to brown the cheese.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information (per serving): 603 calories, 42 g fat, 9 g carbs, 48 g protein.
*Nutritional values are approximate, calculated by me, based on the products I used to make this recipe. Carbs noted are total, not net.